1. Anemometer 2. Barometer 3. Cyclone 4. Dewpoint
5. Debris 6. Dissipate 7. Doppler shift 8. Downdraft
9. Funnel 10. Hail 11. Microburst 12. Radar
13. Rotation 14. Waterspout
1. Why are storm cellars or the center of a house safer during tornadoes?
2. Write a list of suggested tornado safety procedures.
3. What is the difference between a tornado watch and a tornado warning?
4. What atmospheric conditions are associated with tornadoes?
5. Research and compare the two strongest storms, hurricanes and tornadoes, in the chart below:
Item Hurricane Tornado Speed of travel Wind speed Duration Predictability Scale used to measure strength Amount of warning (predictability) Air pressure in center Location where they form
6. Translate the following tornado jargon (chaser slang):
Return to the Learning Science With Science Fiction Main Page
Send mail to
questions or comments about this web site.