Dante's Peak Video Answers1. ash, lava bombs
2. activity at Dante's Peak
3. Geological Survey
4. 10 to 20 Km
5. hot springs
7. acidity, pH
8. high acidity, CO2
10. seismographs, robots, temperature & gas monitors
11. sulfur dioxide (SO2)
12. stomping on the ground to create vibrations
13. 25 to 75
15. become brown in color and smelly
16. quakes, gas
17. roads and buildings collapse, signs and power lines fall, possible explosions, and rock falls
18. clouds form, lightning, ash, lava
19. ash clogs the engine
20. fish die as the water becomes acidic
21. mud slides, tree falls, possible dam breaks and bridges being washed out
22. knocks them down
Dante's Peak Answers to the Discussion Questions1. Magma within the volcano
2. Creation of new rock, replenishing of minerals within the soil
3. Financial costs, panic, possible false alarms, frightens investors, decreased property values
4. Volcanic: ash, dust, CO2, SO2, heat
5. Answers will vary
6. Answers will vary
7. Robots can carry equipment and can function in some places better than humans, especially where there is danger. Other possible robot missions could include: space, deep oceans, mountains, man-made hazards areas, search for survivors in dangerous or difficult areas. NASA could use the Earth as a test site for space applications.
8. People are usually more afraid of dangers that they are not used to. Answers will vary.
9. Communities could have sensing and alarm networks, evacuation and assistance plans, insurance, dams or barriers, and building codes and restrictions to include the dangers.
10. Answers will vary. Possible agencies include: Emergency Management, law enforcement, military, local governments, Red Cross, blood banks, hospitals.
11. Volcanoes: shield, composite, cinder cone, and lava dome
Return to the Learning Science With Science Fiction Main Page
Send mail to
questions or comments about this web site.