Construct a Tornado Bottle Activity:
Materials: 2 two-liter bottles, a washer, and electrical
tape, and glitter.
- Remove the labels from the two-liter bottles. This process
can be made easier by running warm to hot water over the labels
before pulling them off.
- Fill one of the bottles with water and add a teaspoon of glitter
to the water.
- Place the washer with the hole over the mouth of the bottle
with the water in it and then invert the bottle and place the
other bottle on top of the washer.
- Tightly tape the two bottles together with waterproof tape:
electrical tape will work well.
- Your tornado bottle is now ready.
|Turn the bottles over so that the bottle with the water is
|Gently move the top bottle around in a circle to get the vortex
|Stand back and watch your tornado form
Another method (without the washer), you can use to connect the
two bottles together is to super glue the two caps together and
then drill a hole through the two bottle caps. You should still
tape the bottles together for support strength.
Return to the Learning Science With Science Fiction Main Page