Twister Video Question Answers
2. Storm Cellar
3. GOES 8
5. Remote instrument package for studying tornado interiors.
6. 3 minutes
7. speed, pressure
9. Under a bridge
11. Color is more whitish over water compared to dark over land
12. Damage caused by the tornado
13. 35 mph
14. One half mile
16. Reception decreases (weakens, interference)
17. Get underground
19. Parts of aluminum cans in pinwheel shapes
21. Bill's truck
22. Blue sky
23. Data must be analyzed
24. Has cut a damage swath
2. (From NSSL) If you see a severe thunderstorm approaching, use a weather radio or battery-powered radio to find out if a tornado is approaching. Go to an inside wall on lowest floor, and kneel on the floor facing the wall, and put your hands over your head. When in school, stay away from rooms with wide roofs that could collapse easily, such as gyms and auditoriums. Don't use your phone, as it may conduct electricity to you. If you are at your home, go to the basement and get under the stairs or a piece of heavy furniture. If you don't have a basement, get in a closet in the middle of the house. If advance warning of a Tornado is given: If you are outside, go to the safest looking place (i.e., a ditch, etc.) If you are in a car, get out. Tornadoes can outrun fast cars.
3. If a Tornado may form, a Tornado Watch will be issued. If a Tornado has been sighted, a Tornado Warning will be issued.
4. Thunderstorms, hail, rain, low pressure (answers will vary)
Item Hurricane Tornado Speed of travel slower faster Wind speed slower faster Duration longer shorter Predictability better poorer Scale used to measure Categories 1-5 F-scale 0-5 strength Amount of warning days 3 min. (predictability) Air pressure in center low very low Location where they warm water near the where ever conditions form equator are correct (anywhere)
chaser: a person who follows severe storms
Return to the Learning Science With Science Fiction Main Page
Send mail to
questions or comments about this web site.